As an adult (18+) living with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes you can get the services you need in the language and neighbourhood of your choice (in Ottawa). You can register using this form.
There are seven community Diabetes Education Programs (DEPs) offering programs at 18 locations across Ottawa and 1 in Kemptville. You can click here to find a location close to you. The DEPs provide a range of services including group and individual sessions on how to manage diabetes as well as insulin management (learning how to take insulin and work with it day-to-day).
- Registering yourself for a program is easy with the online self-referral form.
- There is no fee for these programs.
- Diabetes Educators work in teams consisting of a Registered Dietitian and Registered Nurse. They are skilled at helping you understand more about diabetes.
- You will learn how to manage diabetes through teaching, coaching and conversation.
- Managing blood glucose (sometimes called ‘targets’), is a big part of living well with diabetes. Through the education programs you will learn tools and how to fit them in to your lifestyle.
- All courses can also act as refresher sessions and can be very helpful as reminders about how to use resources and tools as well as updating your knowledge.
- There are also services and supports you can access through the Diabetes Educators such as foot care assessment, a label-reading course (learning how to understand the nutritional labels on food), and grocery store tours.
- Family members are welcome to attend any session!
- The more you understand diabetes, the easier it will be to talk with your family doctor, nurse practitioner or specialist about how you are doing.
Find out more information or register for group and individual community diabetes education sessions in Ottawa and Kemptville by calling 613-238-3722.
Register yourself into a community diabetes education program with the online self-referral form.